The Mayport Florida Council of the Navy League of the United States has approximately 300 members in the greater Jacksonville area. You need not be a prior member of the Armed Forces to join us! About 70% of the Navy League has not been in the service; however, they sure support the Sea Services! As a US Navy League Council, we execute the mission and objectives of the national organization, which are listed on the home page. Visit the Photo Gallery for pictures. Here is a sample of activities the Mayport Council supports:|
- Each Mayport ship returning from an extended deployment is met by several members of the Mayport Council and each person (little children through great grandparents) is provided a small US flag to wave - when the ship comes along side, the pier is a sea of waving US flags and the smiles are priceless!
- We sponsor and help the local Mayport USO serve four "No Dough" dinners each year; free for service members and their families. We serve 200+ people each time... A lot of Smiles on Faces!
- We recognize the Sea, Aviation and Shore Sailors of the Year from Mayport, the Marine of the Year from Blount Island Command, and the Coast Guardsman of the Year from Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville at our Service-focused dinner hosted for them. Each is provided a book of gift certificates solicited by our members from local companies. Makes you proud to meet and talk with these wonderful young Americans!
- We support picnics and cookouts with the local commands. Our annual cookout with Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville includes tours of their ships and even an underway run on the St. John's River! Nothing like a little salt water spray to make the day!
- In conjunction with other Navy League Councils, we support luncheons honoring those Individual Augmentees (IAs) who have returned from duty in Iraq, Afghanistan or similar places. These IAs were individually ordered, from their commands, to forward duty to take some responsibilities of Marines and Army Soldiers. This enables the Marine and Soldier to take the fight directly to the enemy - as they are trained to do.
- Youth Programs are a key activity of the Mayport Council. Your annual dues help to support the local Sea Cadet and Navy League Cadet Division as well as the NJROTC Unit at Terry Parker High School and the Jacksonville University NROTC Unit. This is your investment in our future leaders. We have had cadets accepted at Service Academies. These are very sharp young people - you have invested wisely!
- Our Council hosts a combination of dinners and luncheons on the 3rd Thursday of each month, January thru June and September thru November, that are normally held at Jacksonville Golf and Country Club. The evening starts with a social hour at 6 PM, dinner at 7 PM and our keynote speaker or presentation after dinner is served. We are normally done by 8:30. Council leadership works to have keynote speakers that provide us a variety of accurate information on the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard as well as local activities and history. Come join the fun - let us know if you plan to attend by signing up right here on the website. Venue and program are usually posted 2 weeks prior to each event.
- Our Council also sponsors a monthly informal social at a variety of local establishments on the second Wednesday of each month - starting at 5:30. There is no program - shorts and sandals are just fine! Come join us for food and a cool glass of whatever makes you happy - see you there!
- Come Join Us! Guests are always welcome at our dinners and socials to learn more about the Navy League.